Research integrity and ethics
At the University of Oulu, the responsible conduct of research is promoted with quality assurance, with open science and research, and with courses on research ethics and good research practice. The courses are given for example to research group leaders and doctoral students, who participate in a national-level PhD course. Also the study program of Master’s students include studies in research integrity and ethics.
Researchers’ adhesion to the principles of the research integrity and ethics is part of the University’s quality assurance. The Unversity personnel and students are familiarized with the responsible conduct of research guidelines (RCR guidelines) and the process of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK) with extensive education.
University of Oulu has committed to follow the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK).
Research ethics organs
Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK)
The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK), appointed by the Ministry of Education and Culture, renewed the guidelines for responsible conduct of research and handling alleged violations in co-operation with the Finnish researchers in 2012. The guidelines were adopted by the University Oulu in March 1, 2013
- Responsible conduct of research and procedures for handling allegations of misconduct in Finland (pdf, in English, Finnish and Swedish)
University of Oulu ethics working group
University of Oulu ethics working group was founded by decision of the Rector in autumn 1997. The rector has appointed the current working group up to December 31, 2016.
The tasks of the ethics working group:
- Awoke and continue the discussion of University’s values and ethical questions.
- Find out the ways to make these values in operation in the work done at the University: in research, teaching, studying and administration, and give support for the fulfillment of the tasks.
- Participate in the discussion of organising ethics education in the different faculties of the University.
- Support the faculties in appointing ethical committees and in the committees’ work.
- Organise meetings and workshops dealing with research ethics at the University and also participate in appropriate projects on the national and international level.
University of Oulu ethics committee for the research in the human sciences
The Advisory Board of TENK has issued a set of recommendations on the ethical principles to be followed in research in the humanities and social and behavioural sciences as well as a proposal that ethical review be arranged in these sectors.
- Ethical principles of research in the humanities and social and behavioural sciences and proposals for ethical review (2009) (pdf)
University of Oulu is committed to follow those principles.
The ethics committee for the research in human sciences of the University was founded in autumn 2012. The committee makes statements on University’s non-medical research projects and process related ethical questions.
Ethical committee of North Ostrobothnia's hospital district
The ethical advance evaluation of medical research is stipulated by law (http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1999/19990488) and is the task of the ethical committee of North Ostrobothnia's hospital district (https://www.ppshp.fi/eettinen_toimikunta).
How to handle problem situations
Please contact the Rector or Administrative Director of the University of Oulu.